Attic Insulation Services
If installed properly, insulation is very effective at decreasing your energy costs. Attics, in particular, are one of the simplest rooms in which to install insulation. It is even easier if you are just looking to cap your insulation (add to your current level). Before you make the decision to install extra insulation, make sure you head to the Department of Energy's website to compare your existing insulation level to government standards. The average amount of insulation in homes does not measure up to the national standards.
Virginia Beach's Critter Control insulation professionals can assist you in taking stock of your current insulation level during our Animal Entry Inspections and recommend a plan personalized to your home. Many insulation materials are difficult to deal with, but Critter Control of Virginia Beach's technicians are among the most experienced professionals around. We will humanely and effectively remove contaminated insulation from your home.
Warning: If you suspect that you have vermiculite insulation in your attic, it could have asbestos. Please do not touch it. Only certified attic insulation contractors should handle and remove vermiculite insulation.
Before you begin installation of any insulation, take into account the following tips:
- Locate and seal home-to-attic air leaks.
- Duct/caulk all possible exposed parts of exhaust fans to the exterior. Foam board is also used in this application.
- Cover dropped ceilings, bulkheads, soffits, etc. with plywood and seal.
- Install metal flashing (blocking) to maintain fire-safety clearance requirements (typically 3 inches) for heat-producing equipment found in the attic, like chimneys, exhaust fans, flues, and fixtures, unless the light fixtures are insulation-contact rated. IC-rated lights are airtight and can be covered with insulation.
- Make sure that insulation does not block soffit vents to make certain the attic is ventilated.
- Examine the attic's ceiling for water stains or any marks. They can indicate roof leaks or poor ventilation. Don't wait — make these repairs before you insulate. Moist insulation is not effective and it can cause damage to your home.
- Insulate and air-seal your attic's access if it is located in an air-conditioned area of your home.
- You will want to properly insulate and air seal any knee walls. Knee walls are vertical walls with attic space located right behind them.
- Lastly, if you're building a new home or remodeling your home, make certain any attic decking that provides additional storage space is raised appropriately above the ceiling joists for proper depth of insulation. The decking should be securely installed to the top of the raised lumber following the installation of insulation.
Call the professionals at Critter Control for all your attic insulation needs.
restoring attics, Attic Repair & Chimney Repair Services
Your problem animal has been taken out of the attic, but reminders of its presence still remain. There will undoubtedly be feces and stains left in your attic, and there may also be damage to the attic's structure itself. The parasites that may have been latched onto your animal may shake off and stay living in the attic. They will be searching for a new host — don't let it be you, your loved ones, or your pet! Some of the ectoparasites you should be concerned about include mites, fleas, ticks, and bat bugs. Pests like mice and bats, in particular, are commonly known for bringing parasites like these in.
You can request that our Wildlife Management Specialists thoroughly inspect your attic and treat for these critters after your problem species has been removed.
You should also consider the waste left behind in your attic. It is not something you want hanging menacingly above your head each night while you sleep. Raccoons, in particular, are notorious for utilizing a single area in your home as a bathroom while using another area of your home as a living area. This behavior by the wildlife animal can lead to damage insulation in attics and reduced "R" values, which means you will continue to lose money as you keep heating and cooling your home. This can also result in stains on ceilings and unpleasant odors.
Our attic professionals have years of experience restoring attics and we can safely remove the soiled insulation and replace it with your choice of insulation products. Our specialists will prepare insurance companies and restore your attic in no time. From attic fan vent guards, gutter protection, roof vent guards, gable vent closures, and soffit vent repairs, our team will help you with any issues with a single call.
The majority of these nuisance animals will cause serious problems to your chimney, too, and require professional chimney repair services. For all your attic insulation needs, attic repair services, attic restoration work, and chimney repair needs, contact Critter Control of Virginia Beach today!